Tourism Strategy and Business Planning
TEAM offers extensive experience in preparing and implementing tourism strategies - more than 30 to date - and in researching and preparing business plans for many types of destination, from national to local level; from metropolitan cities to rural regions.
We believe that the process for preparing a destination's tourism strategy should be relatively simple and based round three questions: 'where are we now?', 'where do we want to be in X years time?' and 'how are we going to get there?'.
Of paramount relevance here is the experience of many of TEAM's personnel as senior managers within DMOs. We have prepared many DMO strategies and business plans 'from the inside' and have made them work successfully in practice. We know well the challenges and the opportunities involved, particularly for those that have to generate substantial commercial income to fund their programmes.
Our preference is for business planning work to be set within the context of a destination's tourism strategy and action plan. This then provides clear direction, aims and objectives for the DMO business plan. Our approach then involves working very closely with DMO staff and, where appropriate, with DMO stakeholders. We seek to understand what they do and how they do it, and then discuss with them the opportunities for enhancing efficiency and effectiveness.
We understand the business of managing marketing campaigns, choosing the most cost-effective routes to market, information management and multi-channel distribution, operation of information services, application of e-business across the organisation, and much more.
We look at existing and potential business models and discuss these thoroughly, before determining the best solutions for the future. These then provide the basis for the budgeting, normally a detailed budget for one year, within the framework of an outline budget for four or five years.
More Information on TEAM's Work
Click on the link at the top of the page to view a complete list of TEAM's projects or, for a list of projects relating specifically to our Tourism Strategy and Business Planning work, use the link provided here.
Current and Recent Projects
- Development of a Destination Management Plan for Wrexham County Borough Council, Wales.
- Facilitating the Development of a Long Term Tourism Strategy for West Lothian for visitwestlothian (VWL).
- TEAM's Destination Management and Marketing Consultants developed a Tourism Strategy and local actions plans for Southern Downs Regional Council in Australia.
- Regional Tourism Strategy for North East Anatolia for the Northeast Anatolia Development Agency (with the Technopolis Group in Turkey).
- Edinburgh Tourism Strategy for Edinburgh Tourism Action Group.
- Tourism Development Strategy for Diyarbakir Province in Turkey for Diyarbakir Provincial Governor and the Regional Develoment Agency (with the Technopolis Group in Turkey).
- Tourism Strategy and Action Plan, Framework for England, for Visit England.
- Visitor Economy Strategy for North East England, for One North East.
- Visitor Economy Conference: Collation and Co-ordination of Evidence for the Northwest Development Agency.
- Strategic and operational planning support for Cape Town Tourism.