Associate, Northern Europe / Pacific Asia
Garry has 30 years’ destination marketing experience and has lived and worked most of his life in Northern Europe and South East Asia. He offers an international perspective, strategic and marketing skills and a thorough understanding of global DMO structures to the practice of promoting destinations.
Garry has held various positions at VisitBritain:
- Director Strategy and Global Competitiveness, based in London
- General Manager Asia Pacific Middle East Africa, based in Singapore
- General Manager Northern Europe, based in Berlin
- Director Nordic and Russia, based in Stockholm
- Marketing Director USA, based in NYC.
Core skills and qualifications
Garry is a graduate from Strathclyde University and was Visiting Professor in the Tourism Department for 12 years.
He has extensive knowledge of tourism markets worldwide and in-depth experience of exploiting opportunities in many of the world’s most important markets.
He has used his skills in recent projects, including:
- Tourism Master plans in China
- £100m GREAT campaign, a joint campaign by government departments and agencies to promote Britain before, during and after the London Olympics
- Global competitiveness study and market plans for the board of VisitBritain.
Garry was recently appointed a UNWTO expert on China and is on a rosta of UNWTO experts for Covid-19 recovery initiatives in Asia.
As CEO of European Cities Marketing, Garry represented the 110 leading cities in Europe. His primary role there was to help cities improve their global competitiveness and create a platform for sharing good practice in leisure and MICE marketing.
Garry has a thorough understanding of international DMO/NTO/CTO structures.
Garry has a keen interest in sustainability, smart cities and the challenge of applying SDG’s into destination marketing strategies.
He has been an active keynote speaker at tourism events in Europe and South East Asia.