Dr Mike Fabricius
Associate, South Africa
Mike Fabricius is an experienced tourism strategist, policy analyst and marketer who played a leadership role in the successful development of the South African tourism industry and has been providing destination consulting at an international level for the past 12 years. After occupying various senior management positions in South Africa’s tourism industry Mike established an independent consultancy practice in 2004, when he also became a TEAM Senior Associate. Since then he has managed and executed more than 100 assignments across 30 countries in Africa, the Middle East, Europe and Asia.
Recent major assignments include:
- being team leader for the Zambia national tourism master plan
- the development of a tourism marketing strategy and detailed source markets strategies for Shandong Province, China
- formulating a destination development strategy for the Bandarban Hills District Area in Bangladesh
- devising a tourism information management system for Uganda; formulating the national tourism brand and marketing strategy for Ethiopia
- acting as Strategic Advisor to the Zambia Tourism Board
- being Team Leader for 10-year strategic tourism development plan for Mozambique
- drafting various site development plans in Saudi Arabia
- conducting tourism scoping and project development concepts for Rajasthan State, India
- devising a tourism strategy for the Buddhist Circuit, India and others
Core skills and qualifications
Mike is an editorial board member of the respected international Journal of Sustainable Tourism and a regular speaker at tourism seminars, conferences and workshops. He has received various academic and business-related awards and his profile is included in the Who’s Who of Southern Africa. His qualifications include a PhD and an MBA (cum laude) from the University of South Africa. He was awarded the University of South Africa Council Medal for the best MBA course student for his dissertation ‘Competitive Strategies for Tourism Destinations’.
Mike regularly participates in assignments for the World Tourism Organization and teaches courses on tourism policy and marketing strategy for tourism managers on behalf of the UNWTO in various international locations.